Nigerians Discuss Leaving And Staying In Nigeria

If you had an oppotrunity, would you leave Nigeria to live in some other country, or stay and try to make a difference? We have asked Nigerians this question… and this is what we’ve found out from their responses.
Approximately half of the commentators firmly expressed their determination to stay in Nigeria and work for the benefit of the country, raising their children here.
Ajayi Oladimejis: I’d rather remain in this country and make changes. If I were elected into postion to serve this country, I would make changes. If I were not in power but had money, I would make changes. If I didn’t have money and power, I would still clamour for changes in social media. What is the essence of me leaving when I know I can make these changes? People took action in those countries we say we would gladly live in instead of Nigeria! Until everyone knows that we all can have a role to play in this country. No contribution is small if it’s aimed at making a change.
Patsie Gal Nwachukwu: I’m staying right here. Why do I have to leave here to where I wouldn’t feel free? Or where I would be made a second-class citizen? This is my home. East or West, home is best.
Ogunlade Elizabeth: I was born and raised in Nigeria. God himself put me in here for the reason best known to him. I am here to contribute to the growth of my beloved country, and God Almighty will help me to do so at the appointed time. I can’t take my children out of this beautiful country, I will raise them here. I can take them abroad during their vacations for them to see the other beautiful works of the Almighty God. But come rain, come sunshine, Nigeria will be their home. Inu ikoko dudu ni eko funfun ti jade (Out of the black pot came the white pap). Not everything about Nigeria is bad, not everyone in Nigeria is bad, not all politicians in Nigeria are bad. If light can conquer darkness, the good can change the bad by showing them the right thing to do.
Marshall Ebimobowei Appeal Odede: Everywhere around the world, citizens work hard and committedly build their nations! They are not looking for the easy way out. My children will live and grow up in Nigeria, not in any other country, for Nigeria is the best nation on Earth. It always takes time to make a nation develop. In all of us, there are a lot of “Andrews” who run away who stay only when they steal or get what they don’t deserve. I love Nigeria no matter what. I ask, do the know what to call “Home”?

Clem Loise: If you want to have children in Nigeria, they must be raised in Naija. Otherwise, you’ll end up raising gays,lesbians terrorists, etc., and that’s a disaster!
George Peters: I live in Nigeria with my children and loving it. Everything about Nigeria is great. We have fresh fish, fruits, leaves, meat, milk in our fridges because we have everything fresh and natural in our country. But, generally, we need to change our “quick-quick” mentality.
The opposing side argued that they’ve suffered enough in Nigeria, and it does not look as if things will take a positive turn any time soon.
Shonde Sunday: Sincerely speaking, the era of being patriotic is over. To me, being patriotic and stay in Nigeria is the same as being a silent sufferer. With the current state of economy, all average and poor Nigerians that constitute about 70% of the country population want to leave. It’s just that they are not opportune to do that. Can you give me one genuine reason why they should stay? Some say they want to stay to collectively bring change, but would the country stakeholders permit this? Is there assurance that whoever wins the election will bring about growth and development to our economy and contribute to improvement in individual standard of living? If this govt fails again, would they continue to go scot-free? Then why not leave to where you will be proud to say you are a chief gardener of this company with the assurance of your lives’ and properties’ security compared to where you work as a banker and live like a slave? I am sorry for Naija.
Olabisi Kayode: I’ve never seen a nation so full of liars like Nigeria. All these people saying they will stay and build Nigeria are still here just because they don’t have an opportunity to travel away. My fellow brothers and sisters, how many years do you intend to live in this world? When you struggle to graduate at 25 years, wait for another year before you go to service, then serve for one year, all making 27 years minimum. After all this, no job, no electricity, and by the time you are 37, no company will like to employ you because you are getting old. All in the name of fake patriotism. How can I be patriotic in a country that will waste my life? Now, $1=N198: any graduate that finds a job of N60k will be happy for less than $250 a month. Tell me, how can he live a good life with no electricity, no roads, no security, no happiness. When I share $100 to each child in my family on Xmas, come and see happiness in there faces. My advise to every youth is, If you have the opportunity to move out, please go before you join armed robbery gangs and waste.
Haruneskey Aaron Itabiyi: As for me, if I am financially independent, I’ll raise my children out of Naija. All sectors monitoring the country’s economy, both the executive and legislature, are corrupt. Lawlessness is what I see everywhere. People can no longer say he truth anymore, and they see nothing bad in it. They are forced to turn into maniacs, kidnappers, armed robbers, hired assassins, killing and burning innocent people. Riots everywhere. You no longer know who is after you. Even our views of the Nigeria Police Force is negative. I was watching news the other day, and a lady from the North said she regrets being a Nigerian because she lost the only thing she had left in he world to the insurgency, her mom. If Boko Haram keep terrorising the Northerners and spread their violence to Eastern and Western states of the country, what will remain of the population of this country?
Anthonia Classic: I would relocate not only my children, but move out, too. I love England and the U.S. Praying that God gives me a Nigerian husband who resides in any of the two countries.
Ovie Lance: Raising my kids abroad is a priority. I schooled here and I suffered. Only the rich and a reduced minority manage to have a feel of the interesting part of living here.
Some respondents tried to find the “middle ground”:
Hammed Scoda: I’d leave and then come back to make a little change for people around me.
Igwenazor Kingsley Chinaemerem: I would first secure my life as a foreign national, then contribute here in Nigeria. When the fire becomes too hot, I’d run to fight another day.
Would you like to join the discussion, or draw attention to any other subject of relevance? Join the team of Naij.com guest writers! Please read our Guide to make your experience easier!

Comments