Olubadan Intervenes, Halts Demolition Of 186 Houses In Ibadan

 

The Olubadan of Ibadanland, Rashidi Ladoja, has stopped the proposed demolition of about 186 houses at Isokan Estate Extension, Alao-Akala, Elebu area of Ibadan in Ido Local Government Area of Oyo State.

Checks by The PUNCH revealed that the private residence of the Olubadan in Ibadan North Local Government Area was besieged on Sunday, around 12:30 p.m. by truckloads of Isokan Extension landlords, who informed the monarch that the rooftops of their houses had been removed between Thursday and Friday ahead of a planned demolition following an Ibadan High Court judgment in favour of one Mogaji Olopade Taofeek Abiola, also known as Mogaji Oloyin.

In a bid to save the affected houses, many of which had already been marked for demolition, the Olubadan gave the landlords the opportunity to repair their damaged rooftops after a second meeting with relevant stakeholders held at his Bodija residence on Tuesday.

The monarch also warned land grabbers to stay away from the area, insisting that the disputed land was not available for illegal acquisition.

The PUNCH recalls that Ladoja, on Tuesday, October 15, 2025, inaugurated a five-member committee on land grabbing and other related offences.

The committee, tasked with addressing land-grabbing issues from a legal perspective, includes Senior Advocates of Nigeria, Niyi Akintola and Musibau Adetunmbi. Other members are Yinka Okunade, Rahman AbdulRaheem and Tunji Thomas.

Olubadan stated that both the Oyo State Government and the Olubadan-in-Council were united in their resolve to rid Ibadan of land grabbing.

“Land grabbing is like an interlocking web of complex connections involving diverse interests that need to be unravelled. I know each of you very well. While we entertain no illusion as to the gravity of your responsibility, I have no doubt in my mind that you have the capacity to carry out the responsibility,” the monarch said.

Also, on Wednesday, April 2, 2026, the paramount ruler received the report of the land-grabbing committee, which proposed legal backing to curb the activities of land grabbers in the city.

Ladoja said, “The proposed legal framework would entail the passage of bye-laws by local government councillors, in accordance with the Land Use Act, to provide for the creation of special tribunals that would give accelerated hearing to cases of land grabbing in Ibadan and specify sanctions.”

However, at Tuesday’s meeting, stakeholders agreed that fresh ground markings should be carried out by independent surveyors to determine the exact boundaries of the disputed land, with the exercise to be monitored by the state Ministry of Lands, Housing, Survey and Urban Development.

“By so doing, we would be able to know who is trespassing on whose land and determine the next line of action to take,” the Olubadan said.

He also commended the Oyo State Commissioner of Police, Olugbemiga Abimbola, for ensuring prompt police intervention in the area and preventing the situation from escalating.

Confirming the development in a statement issued in Ibadan on Wednesday, the Olubadan’s media aide, Adeola Oloko, said the monarch’s residence was flooded by landlords from Isokan Extension seeking intervention.

“The Olubadan residence was besieged by truckloads of Isokan Extension landlords at about 12:30 p.m. on Sunday. They informed Kabiyesi that their house rooftops had been removed between Thursday and Friday ahead of demolition following an Ibadan High Court judgment in favour of Mogaji Olopade Taofeek Abiola, also known as Mogaji Oloyin,” the statement read.

Oloko added that Mogaji Oloyin had maintained that the 31 acres of land at Isokan Extension belonged to his family and that he possessed a valid court judgment and survey plan.

“He contended that he had made efforts to bring the reality of the matter to the attention of those concerned and invited the landlords for dialogue, but his efforts were rebuffed,” Oloko stated.

According to the spokesman of the Isokan community, Isiaq Olatunji, some fences had already been demolished in addition to the removed rooftops.

“Apart from the rooftops removed, some house fences have also been pulled down, leaving residents in fear. Unless Kabiyesi intervenes, we may be displaced unjustly,” Olatunji said.

Oloko further disclosed that neighbouring communities such as Alausa, Aromokun and Oluyedun, which were not covered by the court judgment, were also under threat, with fears that more than 400 houses could eventually be demolished.

Those present at the meeting included the Chairman of the Association of Ibadan Mogajis, Asimiyu Ariori; the Land Committee Secretary, Mogaji Odeku; Baale Apena; and personal aides to the Olubadan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abuja Residents File A Law Suit To Stop Tinubu’s Swearing In On May 29

El-Rufai reveals why he may not accept Chief of Staff role to Bola Tinub

‘I Look To Engaging With You’ — Tinubu Congratulates King Charles III